English Now! and our community service partner, the Washington Center for International Education (WCIE), organize service learning and volunteer programs year-round.
Our goals are to connect the Washington, D.C. international community to the local community, and to help others. We strive to offer a variety of programs and are always open to suggestions! Check out our existing service learning programs here. We hope you can join us! In addition, we encourage you to collaborate with English Now and WCIE to support these opportunities:
September House MAJ is a great organization and is a long-term English Now!/WCIE partner. September House MAJ provides support for everyday life for Japanese people living in the Mid-Atlantic region. The organization helps families overcome financial, social, and emotional hardship by providing them with consultations in Japanese, including assistance accessing appropriate public resources, and also including food assistance during this crisis.
September House MAJ has an Amazon Wish list that enables you to donate Japanese food to families in need. Click here:
If you purchase food on this list, Amazon will send it automatically to September House MAJ.
Identity, Inc is a wonderful nonprofit that serves Latino and other historically underserved youth + their families to realize their full potential. Identity, Inc. works with in-school and out-of-school youth and their families in Montgomery County. They strive to address these families’ needs to promote academic success and reduce poverty.
Bethesda Cares is a great, local organization that serves the homeless in Bethesda and Montgomery County. Bethesda Cares urgently needs food to feed the homeless. Click on any of the links below to order food. Have orders shipped to Bethesda Cares: Maria Garcia Ripa, Operations Director, Bethesda Cares, 7728 Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814.
Thank you for your interest in donating to our community partners! Donations will be accepted:
- IN-PERSON DROP OFFS at English Now!, 4963 Elm Street, Suite 300, Bethesda, MD 20814 Tuesday, April 13 & Friday, April 16, 7:30-10:00am
- DROP OFF IN A LOCAL NEIGHBORHOOD: 8509 Howell Road Bethesda, MD 20817 Monday, April 12 through Friday, April 16, 8:00am-6:00pm
- ORDER ONLINE ANY TIME!
Donations of the following items would be appreciated:
- Food (non-perishables only- granola bars, chips, baking supplies, maseca flour)
- Household goods (cleaning products, paper products, kitchenware, laundry baskets, detergent, dryer sheets, disinfectant, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, cleaning gloves, mops/brooms, paper towels,baby wipes, etc.)
- Personal hygiene items (masks, deodorant, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products, razors, shaving cream, toilet paper, hand sanitizer, diapers sizes 1-6t)
- School supplies (notebooks, pens, pencils, backpacks, folders)
- Activity items (arts and crafts supplies, board games, art supplies, puzzles, stress balls, baby dolls, cars, drawing kits, slime kits, coloring books, smart watches, fitness equipment)
- Clothing donations (Gently used clothing, adult sized socks, shoes)
- Gift cards (Giant/other grocery stores, Target, Footlocker)